Wow what a great event we had on the Gold Coast on October 17. There was a great turn out and it seemed most realised the importance of understanding their eCommerce options and how to utilise Social Media and Online Advertising to help leverage their online shopping AND in-store sales.
It's clear (from the feedback) that MeMedia will continue to offer such events but in order to make them more regular and more affordable we will be looking at holding them at our "Dojo" - A warehouse (currently underconstruction) to give Gold Coast businesses more affordable access to creative education, equipment and services.
Gold Coast eCommerce Event, 6 Minute Video Highlight:
And the answer is... "No, I wasn't asleep at the podium like the video thumbnail suggests :)."
MeMedia's Gold Coast eCommerce, Social Media and Online Advertising October 17 educational breakfast event gathered a fantastic mix of attendees from students, charity organisers, banking executives and small and medium sized businesses.
Secondly we need to thank our Q&A Panelists, OHWboutique.com, MariesPizza.com.au, Scody.com.au and CoconutMagic.com for giving up their time and numerous prizes to help create awareness for Bravehearts charity.
Thirdly we need to thank our attendees. We had 64 Gold Coast brains in the room many of whom gave glowing reviews of the content delivered and the Q&A panelists stories.
eCommerce - Omni-Channel Shopping Overview
Given that it was the first event for some years we felt that it was best to start with the basics, reduce the jargon and address the major problem at hand, which is: Retailers are still not online AND / OR are not Mobile friendly. Topics covered included:
- Latest Australian eCommerce Statistics
- Understanding the Multi-Screen consumer from Google's August 2012 study
- Revealing "How Mobility is Changing the Rhythm of Australian Retail" a September 2013 study released by Telstra
- How do we become Omni-Channel retailers
- Introduction to Vend POS
- Comparing multiple startup shopping carts like: Shopify, BigCommerce and Volusion. Winner was Shopify and BigCommerce 2nd.
- Comparing medium level online shopping cart solutions: X-Cart with Magento (Community). Winner X-Cart. on Speed, Useability and backup of Vendor support.
- Several important eCommerce improvements to your existing system.
- Smart Search & Product Filtering. Youtube Video Below
- Improved streamlined checkout inc logins, security and abandon cart reminder: Youtube video below.
- Integrate eCommerce into your existing website
Online Shopping Cart Site Search Fail:
eCommerce Checkout Fail:
Social Media Marketing Overview
This topic is still quite important and popular for businesses to understand and stay up-to-date with. Social Media is here to stay and it's about time we embraced it. Especially those platforms which will benefit our businesses most in the long run.
- August 2013 Australian Instagram statistics
- Google Plus Australian statistics
- Social Media Strategy: Integrate Physchographics into your existing target audience demographics anlysis
- Develop a persona or 4 for your strategy to align your content with
- Create a community and Be real, transparent, passionate and have a serious belief in your cause.
- Be careful with scheduled posts
- Google Plus nudge using Everett Rogers Technology Adoption Lifecycle. Australians must adopt now!
- Facebook Graph Search... Contending for position on podium for worlds largest search engine. Watch this space
- Be realistic. Don't expect eCommerce sales or even Offline sales immediately. They will come but via this channel but only if you're true to your cause.
Online Advertising Overview
Online Advertising can appear in many different channels. The most common is Google Advertising (Adwords) which is Pay-Per-Click (PPC) or Pay Per 1000 Impressions (CPM).
Advertising online is no longer confined to a AdWords campaign, business now have many options including social media, retargeting and multi-channel shopping websites. However the main goal or purpose of online advertising is to gather a database specific to your target audience whether it be through sales, subscription or social media fan base.
- Establish your goal. Create an email database, social community database or communicate with your existing database(s)
- Drive traffic to your website via Ads on Google search and display networks. Google Product listing ads, Facebook Ads, LinkedIn Ads
- Build a community through running competitions. Boosted by paid advertising on Facebook.
- Stay in contact with your existing databases via their email inbox (segmented of course) OR through digially stalking them using Adroll.com
This is just the tip of the iceberg. MeMedia wanted to introduce you all at the base level. We'll pick one of these topics and go a little more intermediate then advanced on highly specialised topics through the course of the year.
Download The PDF Handout.
Please note that the brand strategy part of the document was only provided to those of you who actually attended the event. If you would like to discuss the development of an online brand and Social Media Strategy please contact us